Friday 24 July 2009

Learning to fly...

I like to drive… even with all the crazy traffic and no-rules roads in Pune… I like to drive…
I am a late bloomer … Long after all my friends were pros at the wheel, I bought my Activa… and needless to point that my dear Dhanno had her first crash 3 days later… she survived unscratched but then my confidence was bruised… all my friends told me that it is just not my piece of cake…. Now on the road I was more conscious of the other vehicles then my bike or the fact that I’m the one controlling it… oh… that bike is too close… I’m definitely going to dash into that bus… and if there is anything on four wheels behind, I prayed that the brakes on it were working… I didn’t enjoy the rides then… so I ventured into one only when needed…
But then Pune teaches you to drive the way no teacher could… the hurdle race in the city makes you an expert at getting through tiny spaces, avoiding skirmishes and the best skill is not having any scratches on the bike at the end of the day… Routine lessons went on and unknowingly I was learning the skill… One fine day I had to go to a friend’s place 20 kms away and all my friends were going on bikes… I got mine too assuming there would be a spare driver to take me through the ordeal (as we always have one extra boy who is without a bike and does the honours)… but Mr. Murphy decided to bless me and I had to drive…. We started at 1 pm in the afternoon via the highway…. I was petrified…. But didn’t want my friends to think I couldn’t do this… Here came the surprise…. The highway was empty… there were no vehicles as far as the eye could see… as I drove on I started to loosen up and feel the breeze for the first time… I saw the speedometer move to from 50 ahead and the bike was completely stable… I was in control and flying… I can hear my heartbeat and feel the rhythm of the wind… This feeling changed driving for ever… On getting there all I wanted to do was get back… feel the breeze…ride away…
Now I drive to office every day, sometimes there is very heavy traffic, sometimes rains, times when I see people driving past the red light or someone just about to make a stupid regrettable mistake, I watch people get frustrated… I watch people in utmost hurry… but me… I like to drive…!

2 comments:

d i l i p said...

Welcome back to blogging :)
I had a great fun reading this. Feeling like stepping down and going for a ride cruising through the not-too-bad mumbai roads :)

unicorn said...

This is so cuuuuute!!! no, seriously!!! I like this post! I donno why! But i like it!!!